The Jamaica District in Middlesex County is often times considered the forgotten region of the county. Yet, it is perhaps the county’s best kept secret. Read more about this historic district here, in the latest in a Southside Sentinel series in celebration of the 350th anniversary of Middlesex County.
Photo courtesy of Jean Holman to the Southside Sentinel for the series. According to the Southside Sentinel, “after the Revolutionary War, Anglicans abandoned the Upper Church building (pictured) at Church View. Members of Hermitage Baptist Church who had been meeting in a wood-frame “Meeting House” on Route 602 between old Revis Post Office and Route 17 took over the old colonial church building. The church burned in 1948 and the congregation of Hermitage Baptist rebuilt the present church on the original site of the old Anglican church.”