Middlesex County Museum and Historical Society, Inc. 2019 Strong Men and Women Essay Contest
The Middlesex County Museum and Historical Society, Inc., will host the 2019 Strong Men and Women in Virginia History traveling exhibition from October 2, 2019, through November 6, 2019. Strong Men and Women in Virginia History recognizes Virginia African Americans, past and present, who have made noteworthy and admirable contributions to the commonwealth. This exhibition from the Library of Virginia is made possible with support from Dominion Energy.
The seven 2019 Strong Men and Women honorees include mathematics and technology pioneer, Dr. Gladys B. West. Dr. West is credited for leading the team that developed the Global Positioning System (GPS) while she was employed as a mathematician at the Naval Service Warfare Center Dahlgren Division in King George, Virginia.
Students are invited to submit an essay on the theme: The Global Positioning System: 20th Century Invention, 21st Century Game Changer. The Global Positioning System (GPS) has profoundly affected many aspects of contemporary society. GPS technology has seemingly endless uses and GPS products are broadly used by government entities, businesses, and individuals. Essays may focus upon any aspect of the GPS system, including elements of contemporary society that would not exist but for GPS.
- Entrants must be Middlesex County students (enrolled in Middlesex schools and/or residents of Middlesex County) in grades 9, 10, 11, or 12.
- Entries must include the following information: entrant’s full name, parent or guardian’s name, address, telephone number, email address, grade, and name of school.
- Essays must be submitted in Microsoft Word, be double spaced, and may not exceed 400 words. Essays must be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, October 11, 2019, at 3 pm..
- Three winners will be selected.
- All entries must be original works that have not been published or submitted for publication elsewhere.
- Entries become the property of the Middlesex County Museum and Historical Society, Inc. and will not be returned.
- The Middlesex Museum and Historical Society, Inc. reserves the right to use the winners’ names and entries for promotional purposes in all forms of media without notice, review, approval or compensation, except where prohibited by law.
- Deadline for essay entries is Friday, October 11, 2019, at 3:00 pm.
- Essay winners will be notified by Monday, October 28, 2019.
- Essay winners will be introduced and will read their essays at the Strong Men and Women closing program on Sunday, November 3, 2019, at 3:00 pm. at St. Clare Walker Middlesex School. This program will feature a conversation with GPS developer, Dr. Gladys B. West.
- Three essay winners will be selected.
- Winning students will read their essays at the Strong Men and Women closing program on Sunday, November 3, at 3:00 pm at St. Clare Walker Middle School.
- Winning students will have the opportunity to take a picture with Dr. Gladys B. West.
- Winning students will receive a certificate, a $100.00 gift card, and an autographed copy of their picture with Dr. West.
- Winning essays will be posted to the Middlesex Museum and Historical Society, Inc. website: middlesexmuseum.org.
Essays will be judged by Middlesex County Museum and Historical Society, Inc. on originality of thought, grammar, spelling, logic, quality and depth of research, clarity, writing style, and content