The community is invited to attend a FREE program Saturday, October 27 at 10 a.m. to view the on-site findings from an archaeological dig at the Old Customs House, now known as Sandwich.
The Customs House is believed to have been built between 1754 and 1762 and is located on Lot 34. The lot was first owned by Edmund Hamerton whose will, dated 1716, left his estate to his son.
In 2014, the Fairfield Foundation completed an initial archaeology study of the property. The artifacts catalogued from the site include fragments of Indian pottery, nails, plaster, historic ceramics and animal bone that helps us understand what life was like back then.
The excavation revealed the possible location of several former structures, including warehouses, other port-related buildings, and possibly the home of an early Presbyterian minister. The overall pattern, of these findings provide insight into the patterns of the early development of Urbanna.
Dr. David Brown and Thane Harpole, Co-Directors of the Fairfield Foundation, whose mission is to promote and involve the public in hands-on archaeology, preservation and educational activities within Virginia’s Middle Peninsula and surrounding areas, will be on-site to lead the discussion of these findings.
The program is free and open to the public. Sandwich is located at 131 Virginia Street in Urbanna.